Southwest Area Type 1 Incident Management Team 2 will transfer command of the Bighorn Fire to Northern Rockies Type 1 Incident Management Team 1 tomorrow, June 22, at 6PM. The teams will hold a joint virtual community meeting streamed via Facebook Live at facebook.com/bighornfireinfo at 8PM tomorrow, Monday night, June 22.
Crews are preparing to conduct additional burnout operations tonight between the communities of Oracle and Saddlebrooke to buffer against fire burning on Samaniego Ridge and in Cargodera Canyon. On Mt. Lemmon, firefighters initiated burnout operations starting at Radio Ridge moving toward Summerhaven along the wilderness boundary. This burnout will continue into the evening. Additionally, crews are setting up pumps and sprinklers around structures in the area of Willow Canyon as a contingency measure. Fire managers do not anticipate the fire in Ventana Canyon will have much, if any movement. Crews will patrol the area tonight to monitor the fire upslope.
- Acres: 51,628
- Percent Containment: 16%
- Start Date: June 5, 2020
- Cause: Lightning
- Origin Location: Santa Catalina Mountains
- Personnel: 969
- Injuries: 3 minor heat-related illnesses
- Jurisdiction: Coronado National Forest, including portions of the Pusch Ridge Wilderness
- Resources: 7 hotshot crews, 14 Type 2 hand crews, 2 Type 1 engines, 28 Type 3 engines, 5 Type 4 engines, 17 Type 5 engines, 25 Type 6 engines, 5 Type 1 helicopters, 1 Type 2 helicopter, 2 Type 3 helicopters, 19 water tenders, 6 bulldozers
GO - Evacuate
- Mt. Bigelow & Lower Soldier HOA
- Community of Summerhaven
- Willow Canyon
- Peppersauce Canyon to Highjinks Road and Campo Bonito
SET – Be Alert
- Community of Oracle
- Portions of East Golder Ranch
- Catalina Foothills between Alvernon Way and Sabino Canyon Road, North of Skyline Drive
READY – Prepare Now
- Oro Valley area from Catalina State Park south to Magee Road
- Tucson foothills area from First Avenue east to Alvernon Way
Sign up for emergency alerts at myalerts.pima.gov and Pinal County alerts at pinalcountyaz.gov/emergencymanagement.
Closures: The Coronado National Forest closure order includes Sabino and Bear Canyons. Catalina State Park is closed. View the closure orders and maps at inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/closures/6741/.
Catalina Highway is closed to the public at milepost zero. Only residents and business owners may pass. Oracle Control Road is closed.
Fire Information Phone Line: (520) 276-8981 and (520) 329-7439, 8AM-8PM
Media Phone Line: (520) 329-7640, 8AM-8PM