Weather will be hot, dry and windy again today. Expect active fire behavior.
Crews patrolled from Summerhaven to Willow Canyon last night. The spot fire near Radio Ridge was held in check. Resources used existing roads, dozer line, and direct attack, to keep the fire from spreading east of Redington Road. A 50-acre spot fire east of the road was contained. Fireline along Redington road was conducted from approximately 1½ miles south of Redington south to Trail Tank Road (#4429). The remaining fire areas on the south, west, and north sides, including Sabino Canyon were in patrol status.
New Evacuation Areas in Pima and Cochise County: PIMA: GO-Southeastern Catalinas area around Redington Road, bounded by the county line on the east. SET-See Table. COCHISE: READY-C1 Cascabel to Hookers Hot Springs; C2 Cascabel south and north of Pomerene; C3 Mescal to Pomerene. Benson is not in a designated zone at this time. Cascabel Road at the Cochise County/Pima County line is closed.
Today’s Activity: Air operations will begin earlier but may be limited later in the day due to high winds. Firefighters will focus on structure protection between Summerhaven and Willow Canyon and work to improve containment around the 3-acre spot fire near Radio Ridge. Firefighters will work to hold and improve fireline along Redington Road, moving north to the Brush Corral Road (#447) to prevent eastward fire spread. Along the southeast side of the fire, crews will identify and prepare containment lines around ranching infrastructure. East of Golder, firefighters will monitor smoke on Samaniego Ridge which is 2 miles east of the current fireline. Crews will conduct equipment backhaul, suppression repair, and patrol on the remaining fire area on the west, north, northeast, and south sides including Sabino Canyon. Initial attack resources will be available to respond to new fire starts.
GO - Evacuate
- Southern Catalina Foothills, Catalina Highway on the western border and Redington Road on the east
- Redington community bordered by county lines on north and east
- East slope of the Catalina Mountains south of the Pima County line and west of the community of Redington
- Mt. Lemmon, Summerhaven and Mt. Bigelow
- Lower Catalina Highway/Lower Mt. Lemmon Communities from Organization Ridge Road to South Willow Canyon
- Southern Catalinas area around Redington Road, bounded by the county line on the east
SET – Be Alert
- Southeastern Catalina Foothills, in the Redington area bounded by the Forest Service line on the west and the Italian Trap Tank on the east. Refer to Pima County Sherriff’s Department Interactive Map for specific boundaries.
READY – Prepare Now
- Community of Oracle
- Portions of east Golder Ranch area
- Catalina Foothills areas east of Kolb Road within northern areas of Ventana Canyon neighborhoods
- Peppersauce Canyon to Highjinks Road and Campo Benito
- Oro Valley areas from Catalina State Park south to Magee Road
- Catalina foothills areas from First Avenue to Alvernon Way
- Catalina Foothills between Alvernon Way and Kolb Road, north of Skyline Drive
Sign up to receive emergency alerts at myalerts.pima.gov or pinalcountyaz.gov/emergencymanagement.
A temporary flight restriction is in place over the fire area. If you fly, we can’t. knowbeforeyoufly.org.
Closures: Sabino Canyon, Bear Canyon, and Catalina State Park are closed. Closures and maps at inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/closures/6741/. Catalina Highway is closed to the public at milepost zero. Oracle Control Road is closed.
National Forest conditions: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coronado/alerts-notices
Location: Santa Catalina Mountains
Size: 114,991 acres
Injuries: 7 minor
Date detected: June 5, 2020
Estimated cost: $35.2 MM
Hand Crews: 21
Media Phone Line: (520) 329-7640, 8AM-8PM
Bighorn Fire Info: (520) 329-7439 & (520) 276-8981, 8AM-8PM
Burned Area Response: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6796/