Beginning June 11, 2021, due to dry and hot conditions, fire restrictions will be increased from Stage 1 to Stage 2 on Bureau of Land Management lands in the Phoenix District—BLM managed lands in central Arizona; in the Colorado River District—BLM managed lands in western Arizona, and on Gila District-managed lands in Navajo and Apache counties. The remainder of the Gila District in southern and eastern Arizona is already in Stage 2 restrictions, and the Arizona Strip District – BLM managed lands in north of the Grand Canyon, remain in Stage 1.
Beginning June 11 at 8:00 a.m., the following activities are temporarily prohibited under Stage 2 restrictions:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
- Discharging a firearm, air rifle, exploding targets or gas gun except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal or tribal laws and regulations.
- Operating any internal combustion engine, such as a chainsaw or similar tool.
- Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Fireworks, exploding targets, sky lanterns and incendiary devices are prohibited year-round on BLM lands in Arizona.
Pressurized liquid or gas stoves, lanterns and heaters possessing shut-off devices are allowed in areas clear of grasses and other fine fuels within three feet of the device. Cigarettes should never be thrown out the window of a vehicle. Instead, use ashtrays to prevent wildfires. Never park a vehicle over dead grass; the catalytic converter can ignite the vegetation.
Violation of restrictions is punishable by fine, imprisonment or both. Violators may also be held personally responsible for reimbursement of fire suppression costs.
For more detail on BLM Arizona fire restrictions, visit: http://blm.gov/arizona/fire-restrictions. Fire restrictions can vary by agency and jurisdictions. Know before you go. Learn more about current fire restrictions and current fire situations at https://wildlandfire.az.gov.