Pima County Sheriff's Department announced a new Go! evacuation order. The evacuation zone is the southern Catalinas bordered by Mt. Lemmon Highway beginning at mile post 3 on the west and by Redington Road on the east. The northern and southern boundaries do not follow any specific road. Please refer to the interactive map at http://bit.ly/PCBigHornFire for specific details.
A red flag warning is in effect today and Monday. Variable and increasing winds over the fire area overnight. Temperatures 53 to 59 degrees in the upper elevations and 66 to 72 on the valley floor.
Wind was a factor on the fire today. Work focused on limiting fire spread east towards Redington and suppressing a 3-acre spot fire near the Mount Lemmon radio towers. Firelines held when the fire made a late afternoon run south of Spencer Peak in Box Camp Canyon. Ground and aerial resources provided point protection for structures west of Redington. Firefighters built fireline on the fire’s east side in the Donovan Ridge, Bellota Spring, and Bullock Canyon areas.
Contingency line was improved along the Arizona Trail and Redington Road. Mop up operations continued along the Catalina Highway between Summerhaven and Willow Canyon. Firing operations continued south along the Catalina Highway and firefighters patrolled the south, west, and north sides of the fire.
Tonight’s Activities: Fireline construction, structure protection, and burnout operations will occur in the Redington area. Firefighters will continue to work on the spot fire on Mount Lemmon and patrol and mop up from Summerhaven to Willow Canyon. Firing operations will continue from Palisade to Willow Canyon. Sabino Canyon and fireline along the fire’s south, west, and north sides will be patrolled.
GO - Evacuate
- Southern Catalina Foothills, Catalina Highway on the western border and Redington Road on the east
- Redington community bordered by county lines on north and east
- East slope of the Catalina Mountains south of the Pima County line and west of the community of Redington
- Mt. Lemmon, Summerhaven and Mt. Bigelow
- Lower Catalina Highway/Lower Mt. Lemmon Communities from Organization Ridge Road to South Willow Canyon
SET – Be Alert
- Southern Catalina Foothills, bounded by Forest Service boundary on the west and County line on the east
READY – Prepare Now
- Community of Oracle
- Portions of east Golder Ranch area
- Catalina Foothills areas east of Kolb Road within northern areas of Ventana Canyon neighborhoods
- Peppersauce Canyon to Highjinks Road and Campo Benito
- Oro Valley areas from Catalina State Park south to Magee Road
- Catalina foothills areas from First Avenue to Alvernon Way
- Catalina Foothills between Alvernon Way and Kolb Road, north of Skyline Drive
Sign up to receive emergency alerts at myalerts.pima.gov or pinalcountyaz.gov/emergencymanagement.
A temporary flight restriction is in place over the fire area. If you fly, we can’t. knowbeforeyoufly.org.
Closures: Sabino Canyon, Bear Canyon, and Catalina State Park are closed. Closures and maps at inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/closures/6741/. Catalina Highway is closed to the public at milepost zero. Oracle Control Road is closed.
National Forest conditions: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coronado/alerts-notices
Location: Santa Catalina Mountains
Size: 104,690 acres
Injuries: 7 minor
Date detected: June 5, 2020
Estimated cost: $32.7 MM
Hand Crews: 24
Media Phone Line: (520) 329-7640, 8AM-8PM
Bighorn Fire Info: (520) 329-7439 & (520) 276-8981, 8AM-8PM
Burned Area Response: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6796/