The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality has issued an Ozone High Pollution Advisory for Monday, July 18 and Tuesday, July 19.
- Wood burning in residential fireplaces, chimeneas, outdoor fire pits, and similar outdoor fires is prohibited in Maricopa County. This includes individuals and businesses which have burn permits for open burning.
- Employees and contractors of government entities are prohibited from operating leaf blowers. Residents are encouraged to avoid leaf blowing during HPAs.
- Off-road vehicle use should be avoided.
- Drive as little as possible: carpool, use public transit, or telecommute. For information on transportation alternatives, visit Valley Metro: www.ShareTheRide.com
- Fuel your vehicle after dark or during cooler evening hours.
- Reduce your time waiting in long drive-thru lines. For example, at coffee shops, fast-food restaurants, or banks. Park your vehicle and go inside.
- Use low-VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) or water-based paints, stains, finishes and paint strippers.
- Delay big painting projects until HPAs have passed.
- Make sure containers of household cleaners, garage and yard chemicals and other solvents are sealed properly to prevent vapors from evaporating into the air.
- Eliminate wood burning in fireplaces, stoves, chimeneas, and outdoor fire pits.
- Avoid using leaf blowers. Use a rake or broom to keep debris out of the road and away from storm drains, ditches, and streams.
- Conserve electricity.