Due to increasing fire danger the Prescott National Forest will implement Stage II fire restrictions effective Friday, June 30, at 8 a.m. These additional fire restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire.
Stage II fire restrictions prohibit the following:
1.Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire, including fires in developed campgrounds and improved sites.
2.Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
3.Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations.
4.Operating any internal combustion engine from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
5.Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
Exemptions to the restrictions include the following:
- Using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles in compliance with forest Travel Management regulations.
Pete Gordon, Fuels, Fire, & Aviation Staff Officer for the Prescott National Forest says, “Due to elevating conditions; heavy resource commitments across the geographic area; local draw-down concerns for initial attack; and impacts from the Goodwin Fire, the Prescott NF is entering Stage II Fire Restrictions on June 30th, 2017 at 08:00. We need help from all our neighbors and visitors in being mindful of the conditions and potential for more wildfires. Stop, think, and reconsider doing anything that might cause a spark.”
The public can obtain fire information via the following:
- Prescott National Forest Web Site: www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott
- Twitter: @PrescottNF
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PrescottNF/
- Arizona Fire Restrictions: http://firerestrictions.us/az/
- Local Ranger Stations: Bradshaw Ranger District, (928) 443-8000; Chino Valley Ranger District (928) 777-2200; Verde Ranger District (928) 567-4121