Due to insufficient rain and continued dry fuel conditions, the Prescott NF along with local partners and neighboring forests are extending State 1 Fire Restrictions. Forest fuel moistures across Arizona are currently at record lows, and windy conditions continue to further dry out fuels. Restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire.
Stage I fire restrictions prohibit the following:
1. Igniting, building, maintaining, or using a fire, including charcoal and briquettes outside a fire structure that is provided by the Forest Service within a designated area. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any flammable material. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).
3. Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations. 36 C.F.R. § 261.58(m).
Exemptions to the restrictions include the following: Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. §261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from the provisions in this Order:
1. Holders of Forest Service Special Use Authorizations are exempt from Prohibition #1 above, provided such fires are within a fire structure and they are within their permitted area.
2. Persons using a stove or grill that is solely fueled by liquid petroleum or liquid petroleum gas (LPG) fuels.
3. Persons using a stove fire in a designated area.
4. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of official duty.
Recreational target shooting remains prohibited at this time; however, legal hunting activities are permitted.
This area only affects National Forest System lands within the boundary of the Prescott National Forest.
Fires are allowed in metal fire rings and/or metal pedestal grills provided by the Forest Service in the following developed recreation sites only:
Prescott National Forest - BRADSHAW RANGER DISTRICT
- Alto Pit OHV Campground and Day-Use
- Lynx Campground
- Yavapai Campground
- Lynx Creek Ruin Day-Use
- Cayuse Equestrian TH Day-Use
- Lynx Lake North Shore Day-Use
- Wekuvde Day-Use
- Lynx Lake South Shore Day-Use
- Groom Creek Day-Use & Horse Campground
- White Spar Campground
- Hilltop Campground
- Thumb Butte Day-Use
- Ranch Trailhead #62
Prescott National Forest - CHINO VALLEY RANGER DISTRICT
Prescott National Forest - VERDE RANGER DISTRICT
- Mingus Mountain Campground
- Mingus Vista Day-Use
- Sycamore Cabin Rental
- White Bridge Day-Use
- Potato Patch Campground
- Black Canyon Day Use
- Powell Springs Campground
- Copper Canyon Trailhead
- Beasley Flat Day-Use
- Hayfield Draw OHV Day-Use
- Mingus Picnic Day-Use
The public can obtain fire information via the following:
- Prescott National Forest Web Site: www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
- Prescott NF Fire Information 928-925-1111
- Local Ranger Stations: Bradshaw Ranger District 928-443-8000; Forest Supervisors Office 928-777-2200; Verde Ranger District 928-567-4121