Fire managers on the Bradshaw Ranger District are planning to burn near the community of Groom Creek, Saturday, October 8th through Friday, October 14th; weather conditions permitting.
- Horse Camp prescribed fire is a 459 acre maintenance burn located 3 miles south of Prescott and adjacent to the community of Groom Creek. Vegetation consists of ponderosa pine with a shrub understory. Night time smoke impacts could occur within the communities of Groom Creek, Prescott as well as the Hassayampa River drainage.
- Payoff prescribed fire is a 695 acre maintenance burn located 2 miles south of Groom Creek. Vegetation will consist of ponderosa pine with a shrub understory. Night time impacts could occur within Groom Creek, Ponderosa Park and the Hassayampa River drainage.
We are sensitive to special events planned in Prescott and surrounding locations. Before the start of any ignitions if weather conditions which include wind direction and ventilation are not suitable the burn could be cancelled.
In the interest of safety, forest visitors are reminded to obey all traffic signs and use caution when traveling in the vicinity of the prescribed fire burn units as firefighters and fire-related traffic will be in the area.
Prescribed fires are one of the most effective tools available to resource managers for restoring fire-adapted ecosystems. These fires mimic natural fire by reducing forest fuels, recycling nutrients and increasing habitat diversity. Each prescribed burn is designed to meet specific objectives. Benefits from these treatments help to reduce hazardous fuels adjacent to the wildland urban interface and increase ecosystem and community resilience. Prescribed fires are managed with firefighter and public safety as the first priority.
All prescribed fire activity is dependent on the availability of personnel and equipment, weather forecasts, fuels moisture levels and conditions that minimize smoke impacts as best as possible and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
The public can obtain additional prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescott NF Fire Information Hotline: (928) 777-5799
- Prescott NF Forest Website: http://www.fs.usda.gov/prescott/
- Local Ranger Stations: Bradshaw Ranger District, (928) 443-8000; Chino Valley Ranger District (928) 777- 2200; Verde Ranger District (928) 567-4121