Fire managers on the Bradshaw Ranger District are planning to begin two previously announced prescribed burns south of Prescott, Tuesday September 13th through Saturday September 17th; if conditions are favorable.
- Crooks prescribed fire is a 381 acre maintenance burn located 3 miles south of Prescott and adjacent to Ponderosa Park. Vegetation consists of chaparral and ponderosa pine. Night time smoke impacts could occur within the Ponderosa Park area and the Hassayampa River drainage. (T13N, R2W, Sec 29)
- Ponderosa prescribed fire is a 422 acre maintenance burn located 3 miles south of Prescott and adjacent to Ponderosa Park. Vegetation consists of ponderosa pine and chaparral. Night time smoke impacts could occur in Ponderosa Park and the Hassayampa River drainage. Major roads impacted could include Highway 89 and Ponderosa Park Rd (County Road 101). (T13N, R2W, Sec32)
Prescribed fires are one of the most effective tools available to resource managers for restoring fire-adapted ecosystems. These fires mimic natural fire by reducing forest fuels, recycling nutrients and increasing habitat diversity. Each prescribed burn is designed to meet specific objectives. Benefits from these treatments help to reduce hazardous fuels adjacent to the wildland urban interface and increase ecosystem and community resilience. Prescribed fires are managed with firefighter and public safety as the first priority.
All prescribed fire activity is dependent on the availability of personnel and equipment, weather forecasts, fuels moisture levels and conditions that minimize smoke impacts as best as possible and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
The public can obtain additional prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescott NF Fire Information Hotline: (928) 777-5799
- Prescott NF Forest Website: http://www.fs.usda.gov/prescott/
- Local Ranger Stations: Bradshaw Ranger District, (928) 443-8000; Chino Valley Ranger
District (928) 777-2200; Verde Ranger District (928) 567-4121