Fire managers are planning to conduct a prescribed burn on the Flagstaff Ranger District just north of Mormon Lake tomorrow morning. The Upper Lake Mary 3 project is slated for 919 acres, to be completed in one day.
Upper Lake Mary 3 Project
- When: Thursday (Oct. 24).
- Where: Approximately 15 miles southeast of Flagstaff. GPS: 35.014971, -111.463811
- Size: 919 acres
- Duration: This is a one-day operation.
- Method/Type of Burn: This is an initial-entry burn conducted by drip torch and helicopter. This burn’s specific objectives are to protect Pine Grove Campground and Lake Mary Road corridor from any southwesterly fire threats and to help lessen any potential wildland fires that may start near Pinegrove Campground. Since this is an initial-entry burn, smoke will be thicker and more noticeable than a maintenance burn due to the amount of forest fuels in the burn area.
- Smoke Impacts: Ventilation is predicted to move smoke toward the southwest, which may impact Lake Mary Road in the area, Interstate 17, Mormon Lake Village, and Munds Park.
- Closures/Restrictions: None expected.