Coconino National Forest firefighters had planned to conduct a prescribed burn northwest of Flagstaff this morning but have decided to postpone it due to an unfavorable weather forecast of northeast winds
Fire managers have also decided to change the timing of other burn projects scheduled this week to mitigate smoke impacts to surrounding communities.
The Experimental Forest project is cancelled for today and will be rescheduled at a later time when weather conditions improve to allow for favorable ventilation of the smoke.
The Kachina Block 2 project, originally scheduled for Thursday, is now planned for Wednesday due to predicted favorable weather conditions that will lessen the impact of smoke in surrounding communities.
The Frog Tank project, originally scheduled for Wednesday, has been moved to Thursday due to more favorable southwest winds that will keep smoke away from Interstate 17 and the community of Munds Park.
There are no changes for the Cragin Watershed Protection project (Moqui Lookout Block) scheduled for today. For more information about the original prescribed burn plans and associated details, please see yesterday’s news release
Information about the prescribed burn projects planned for this fall can be found online at Inciweb’s website
Prescribed burns are always dependent upon weather and wind conditions, as well as approval from Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). The public can view approved prescribed burns on ADEQ’s website at smoke.azdeq.gov
. Coconino National Forest burns begin with the Burn Number designation “COF.”