UPDATE at 11:10 a.m., 6/28/20:
Portions of east Golder Ranch area and the Catalina Foothills areas east of Kolb Road within northern areas of Ventana Canyon neighborhoods were downgraded from SET to READY.
A red flag warning is in effect today and Monday. Southwest winds gusting to 35 mph will increase fire behavior today.
Work yesterday focused on limiting fire spread east towards Redington. Ground and aerial resources provided point protection for structures west of Redington. Structure protection and mop up operations continued along the Catalina Highway between Summerhaven and Willow Canyon. Firing operations were conducted south of Willow Canyon along the Catalina Highway. Firefighters monitored and patrolled the Sabino Canyon area and the western and northern sides of the fire.
High winds may limit aircraft use today. Firefighters will use direct attack where it is safe to engage the fire west of Redington. Crews and dozers will work to connect fireline from Donovan Ridge to Forest Road 4431 (Bellota Spring). Contingency line construction will continue along the Arizona Trail and Redington Road. Hotshot crews will construct fireline on the south side of Green Mountain tied into the Catalina Highway. Structure protection and mop up operations will continue between Summerhaven and Willow Canyon. East of Saddlebrook, equipment backhaul will continue and crews will patrol and mop up the fireline. Line along the fire’s south, west, and north sides will be patrolled. Suppression repair activities will continue in these areas. Sabino Canyon will be monitored.
Virtual public meeting tonight at 8 PM at Bighorn Fire Info https://www.facebook.com/bighornfireinfo.
GO - Evacuate
- East slope of the Catalina Mountains south of the Pima County line and west of the community of Redington
- Mt. Lemmon, Summerhaven, Mt. Bigelow
- Lower Catalina Highway/Lower Mt. Lemmon Communities from Organization Ridge Road to South Willow Canyon
- Redington community bordered by county lines on the north and east
SET – Be Alert
- No areas are currently under SET notification
READY – Prepare Now
- Portions of east Golder Ranch area
- Catalina Foothills areas east of Kolb Road within northern areas of Ventana Canyon neighborhoods
- Oro Valley areas from Catalina State Park south to Magee Road
- Catalina Foothills areas from First Avenue to Alvernon Way
- Catalina Foothills between Alvernon Way and Kolb Road, north of Skyline Drive
- Community of Oracle near Peppersauce Canyon
Sign up to receive emergency alerts at myalerts.pima.gov or pinalcountyaz.gov/emergencymanagement.
A temporary flight restriction is in place over the fire area. If you fly, we can’t. knowbeforeyoufly.org.
Closures: Sabino Canyon, Bear Canyon, and Catalina State Park are closed. Closures and maps at inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/closures/6741/. Catalina Highway is closed to the public at milepost zero. Oracle Control Road is closed.
National Forest conditions: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coronado/alerts-notices
Location: Santa Catalina Mountains
Size: 104,690 acres
Injuries: 7 minor
Date detected: June 5, 2020
Estimated cost: $30.1 MM
Hand Crews: 26
Media Phone Line: (520) 329-7640, 8AM-8PM
Bighorn Fire Info: (520) 329-7439 & (520) 276-8981, 8AM-8PM
Burned Area Response: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6796/