The Skunk Fire has consumed 37,058 acres including fire growth and back burns. The fire continues to move in a northwesterly direction towards Dry Lake Road 1583 into ponderosa pine forest. The south side of the fire below the rim is still holding in the Ash Creek area. The east line is projected to hold and contribute to increased containment at the beginning of next week. The south and north side of the fire is contained. Division Zulu remains a priority as fire crews continue to hold the line on top of the rim. Currently there is a logging operation just east of division Zulu.
Yesterday’s plans were to hold the south side of the fire near Ash Creek and the area below the rim. Division Alpha continued to patrol, scout and prepare for firing operations. Division Charlie will continue to prep from Pole Corral west along the 1500 Road in preparation of firing ops. Division Foxtrot will patrol, hold and mop up.
The National Weather Service forecast maximum temperatures between 68 and 83 degrees with light and variable winds in the morning with southern winds shifting to the southwest and gusting up to 35 mph in the late afternoon.
During wildfires, smoke can drift into communities, affecting air quality. The forecasted winds and daytime temperatures should move the smoke impacts to the northeast away from the fire. As overnight temperatures drop and winds die down, there will be a chance for smoke impacts to areas adjacent to the fire, down drainages into San Carlos and to lesser extent, Globe. Smoke should lift out as the sin rises and winds pick up.
- Start date: April 19, 2014
- Location: San Carlos Apache Reservation
- Cause: Lightning
- Size: 37,058 acres
- Contained: 44%
- Containment date: Estimated to be contained on May 23, 2014, at approx. 10 a.m.
- Total personnel: 144
- Fire behavior: moderate to active fire behavior on the northwest and southeast flanks
- Growth potential: Fire continues to grow in western and southeastern direction
- Fuels involved: Timber (litter and understory), grass, juniper and oak woodlands
- Terrain: Steep terrain with boulders