The Fuller Fire area received a wetting rain yesterday totaling between a tenth and a quarter of an inch. These rains helped crews hold and strengthen existing fire perimeter lines to the north and south. Crews reported low intensity smoldering and creeping fire behavior as woody ground cover and logs were consumed.
“Fire has been a natural process across this landscape for thousands of years,” said Randall Walker, District Ranger for the Kaibab National Forest. “Our special Wilderness places will be more sustainable and resilient in the future because of this fire.”
Additional wetting rains and cloud cover are expected throughout the day reducing new fire growth. Firefighters will start mop-up operations as they seek and destroy any hot spots near existing fire perimeter control lines. The fire will continue to smolder and creep toward the west and within the interior of the fire.
- All USFS areas east of Highway 67 and south of Tater Ridge Rd (FSR 213) and east of House Rock Valley Rd (FSR 8910).
- Trails: Arizona Trail: Lindberg Hill north to the Park boundary; Ken Patrick Trail: starting at the Uncle Jim Trail junction; Point Imperial Trail; Nankoweap Trail; Saddle Mountain Trail, South Canyon Trail. Road closures include: Fuller Canyon Road; Cape Royal Road; Point Imperial Road; FSR 610; FSR 611.
- Highway 67 and the North Rim Visitor Center, Lodge and Campground are OPEN as well as FSR22 and Rainbow Rim Trail on Kaibab National Forest.
Fuller Fire Summary:
- Start Date: June 29, 2016
- Cause: Lightning
- Location: Point Imperial, N. Grand Canyon NP
- Size: 14,131 acres
- Containment: 0%
- Personnel: 586
- Fuels: timber, grass, rugged terrain
- Smoke: With minimal fire growth, fire mangers anticipate minimal smoke from today’s fire activity
Fuller Fire information can be found:
- Inciweb: inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4845
- Text Message: text “follow GrandCanyonNPS” to 40404
- Facebook: facebook.com/FullerFire
- Twitter: twitter.com/GrandCanyonNPS
- Fire Information Center: 844-684-5411;
- Recorded Information: 928-638-7688