Run, Hide, and (as a last resort) Fight
RUN and escape, if possible:
- Leave your belongings behind and get away.
- Help others escape, if possible, but evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Warn and prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Call 911 when you are safe, and describe shooter, location, and weapons.
HIDE if you can’t escape:
- Hide in an area out of the shooter's view and stay quiet. Silence all phones and other devices and make sure they won’t vibrate.
- Block entry to your hiding place, lock the doors and close the blinds.
- Try to communicate silently. Use text messages or social media to tag your location, or put a sign in a window.
FIGHT only as a last resort:
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter using makeshift weapons such as chairs, fire extinguishers, scissors, etc.
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter.
Watch the Run. Hide. Fight. video