- Check to make sure the software on all of your systems is up-to-date. If you have anti-virus software installed on your computer, update the virus definitions (if possible), and perform a manual scan of your entire system. Install all of the appropriate patches to fix known vulnerabilities.
- If you find a problem, disconnect your device from the Internet and perform a full system restore.
- By removing the Internet connection, you prevent an attacker or virus from being able to access your computer and perform tasks such as locating personal data, manipulating or deleting files, or using your device to attack others.
- If you have access to an IT department, contact them immediately. The sooner they can investigate and clean your computer, the less damage to your computer and other computers on the network.
- If you believe you might have revealed sensitive information about your organization, report it to the appropriate people within the organization, including network administrators. They can be alert for any suspicious or unusual activity.
Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
PII is information that can be used to uniquely identify, contact, or locate a single person. PII includes but is not limited to:
- Full Name
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Driver’s License Number
- Vehicle registration plate number
- Credit card numbers
- Physical appearance
- Gender or race
If you believe your PII is compromised:
- Immediately change all passwords; financial passwords first. If you used the same password for multiple resources, make sure to change it for each account, and do not use that password in the future.
- If you believe the compromise was caused by malicious code, disconnect your computer from the Internet.
- Restart your computer in safe mode and perform a full system restore.
- Contact companies, including banks, where you have accounts as well as credit reporting companies.
- Close any accounts that may have been compromised. Watch for any unexplainable or unauthorized charges to your accounts.